First Aid Skills
Outdoor Skills, Backpacking, Cooking, Navigation, Cycling, and Wilderness Survival Skills.
|— - Guide to Safe Scouting, VI. First Aid|
Here are the first aid resources you need for over 40 ranks and badges.Videos show you key skills.
While your handbook is your primary resource, the links below can help you learn your first aid skills. See the Disclaimers.
- Your handbook is your primary reference. See First Aid Skills for step-by-step instructions and lesson video links.
- See also: First Aid Merit Badge Pamphlet - First Aid Kit - Emergency Kit - Guide to Safe Scouting - Physcial
- Mayo Clinic First Aid Guide - Mayo Clinic: Fever
Expert Village Videos: First Aid - Basics - Basics2
About.com - offers a number of first aid videos.
ProFirstAid (PFAVideo) - an entire online first aid course for free. Pay if you want their certificates.
American Red Cross Training Online - The Greater Indianapolis Chapter offers many certified American Red Cross first aid courses for a fee.
Disclaimer: This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, emergency treatment or formal first-aid training. Don't use this information to diagnose or develop a treatment plan for a health problem or disease without consulting a qualified health care provider. If you're in a life-threatening or emergency medical situation, seek medical assistance immediately.
Please note that the only first aid materials recommended by the Boy Scouts of America are those found or listed in official BSA materials such as the current First Aid Merit Badge Book and Boy Scout Handbook. First Aid Treatments are constantly being revised. See the Guide to Safe Scouting. Neither MeritBadge.Org, nor its contributors make any recommendations.
- MeritBadge.Org Disclaimer
Bites and Stings
- Mayo Clinic: Insect bites & stings - Spider bites - Animal bites - AAFP: Stings & Bites - Cat & Dog Bites - Center for Disease Control: Dog Bites - WebMD: Bites & Stings
- Mayo Clinic: Bleeding - Harvard: Bleeding - Harvard: Direct Pressure - Harvard: Butterfly Bandage - WebMD: Bleeding - Center for Disease Control: Acute Injury Care
- Wikipedia: Tourniquet - Dangerous - you must be very knowledgable but knowledge is requried for First Aid Merit Badge
- Mayo Clinic: Broken Bones - Harvard: Broken Bones - WebMD: Understanding Fractures
- Mayo Clinic Broken Bone Symptoms & Treatments: Arm - Collarbone - Broken leg - Hand/Wrist/Fingers - Ankle/Foot -
- WebMD Broken Bone Symptoms & Treatments Arm - Collarbone - Finger - Foot - Hand - Leg - Toe
- Mayo Clinic: Bruises (also called Contusions) - WebMD: Bruises
- Mayo Clinic: Black eye - WebMD: Black Eye - Black Eye (Black eye - a bruise near the eye)
- American Cancer Society: Signs & Symptoms - Warning Signs - Mayo Clinic: Cancer Defined - Cancer Myths
- BSA Video: Tenderfoot Heimlich Maneuver (requires Apple QuickTime)
- WebMD: Choking - Mayo Clinic: Choking (Heimlich maneuver) - Harvard: Choking - Harvard: Heimlich Maneuver - Center for Disease Control: Choking
- BSA Video: Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) (requires Apple QuickTime)
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) - Mayo Clinic: Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) - Harvard: CPR - AAFP: CPR - WebMD: CPR
Cuts - Scrapes
- Mayo Clinic: Cuts and Scrapes (also called Abrasions) - AAFP: Cuts, Scrapes and Stitches - WebMD: Cut
- Mayo Clinic: Dehydration - Spotting & Preventing Dehydration - Mayo How much water do you need? - WebMD: Dehydration
Electrical Burns - Electrical Shock
Eye Injury - Object in Eye
Head, Neck, and Back Injuries
- National Institute of Health: Hearing Loss - Mayo Clinic: Hearing Loss - AAFP: Prevent Hearing Loss - About.com: Woodworking Hearing Protection
- American Heart Association: Heart Attack - Warning Signs -Mayo Clinic: Heart attack - AAFP: Symptoms & Risk Factors - WebMD: Heart Attack
Nausea - Motion Sickness
- Mayo Clinic: Indigestion-Understand and prevent heartburn, nausea and bloating - WebMD: Nausea
- WebMD: Motion Sickness - Wikipedia - Requirement for Motorboating Merit Badge and Small-Boat Sailing Merit Badge
- Mayo Clinic: Poisoning - WebMD: Poisoning - About.com: Poisons - Center for Disease Control: Poisoning
- Mayo Clinic: Food-borne illness - About.com: Food Poisoning
Seizures - Convulsions - Epilepsy
- Treat every accident victim for shock. -Boy Scout Handbook p. 291
- Snakebite: Mayo Clinic: Snakebite - AAFP: Snakebite - Avoiding Snakebites - AAFP: Venomous Snakebites - WebMD: Snakebite
Sprains - Strains - Cramps
- See CPR
- CPR & Resuce Breathing - MSN: Rescue Breathing and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- About.com: Shortness of Breath
- Mayo Clinic: Stroke - American Stroke Association: Stroke - Medicinenet: Stroke - Stroke Awareness Foundation - AAFP: Stroke Warning Signs and Avoiding Stroke
- Warning Signs: American Heart Association: Stroke Warning Signs - Stroke.Org - AAFP: Stroke Symptoms - Stroke Symptoms
Transporting an Injured Person
Wilderness First Aid
Emergency Preparedness-related awards
- Boy Scout Merit Badges: Crime Prevention - Emergency Preparedness - Fire Safety - First Aid - Lifesaving - Public Health - Safety- Traffic Safety
- Webelos Activity Badge: Readyman
- Others Links: First Aid Skills - First Aid Kit - Emergency Kit - Safe Swim Defense - Safety Afloat - Guide to Safe Scouting: First Aid
- Venturing: Ranger Award-Emergency Preparedness Requirement
- Camping Checklist
- Boy Scout Camping Merit Badge
- Webelos Webelos Outdoorsman