- (a) Make a freehand working drawing of a flask used for a bench moulding in the foundry; (b) describe same flask.
- (a) Show by section sketch a mould of a plate 12" long, 6" wide, 1" thick with gate and vents; (b) construct the mould.
- Make a perspective sketch of a pulley pattern 6" diameter, 2" face, the center to be cored 2" by use of core prints.
- Construct a wood pattern and core box as per the sketch outlined in Requirement 3; use shrinkage rule for the metal used, gray iron, bronze or brass. Change measurements to allow for finish all over casting and proper draft for removing pattern from mould.
- Describe how the cupola operates.
- (a) Describe a process for cleaning one of the above castings when removed from the mould; (b) clean one of the above castings.
- Describe the properties in sand that are best suited for foundry use and tell how to prepare sand for use.
- Tell what important safety precautions should be taken to protect the workers in a foundry - by the employer - by the employee.
Note: In each case when a mould is required the pattern must first be made.
| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Handbook for Boys, 1948 Edition