| This article is about the Square knot used to secure a rope or line around an object.|
Adult leader awards are also called "Square knots."
Special Knots, and Advanced Knots, for Wolf, Bear, Webelos, Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class.
|Names||Square knot, Reef knot|
|Typical use||Joining two ends of a single line to bind around an object.|
|Caveat||Not secure as a bend. Spills easily if one of the free ends is pulled outward. Does not hold well if the two lines are not the same thickness.|
|Related||Thief knot, Granny knot, Grief knot, Surgeon's knot|
|— Boy Scout Handbook p. 8|
- Required for
- Wolf Electives 17a. Learn to tie an overhand knot and a square knot.
- Bear 22b. Tie a square knot, bowline, sheet bend, two half-hitches, and slip knot. Tell how each knot is used.
- Webelos Outdoorsman #11. ...Show how to tie a square knot and explain how it is used.
- Webelos Arrow of Light #2 Tie the joining knot (square knot).
- Scout #6: Demonstrate tying the square knot (a joining knot).
- Small-Boat Sailing #7a: Square (Reef) knot - Clove hitch - Two half-hitches - Bowline - Cleat hitch - Figure Eight
- Sea Scout Apprentice #5. Square knot - Bowline - Clove hitch - Sheet bend - Two half-hitches - Figure Eight - Cleat hitch
- Hold one rope end in each hand.
- Pass the right end over and under the rope in your left hand and pull it snug.
- Pass the rope now in your left hand over and under the one now in your right, and pull it snug.
- Lesson Videos
- Grog's Animated Knots: Reef (Square) - Video: About the Square Knot - Video: Square Knots - Video: Different Ways to Tie Square Knots - Video: Square Knots - Wonder How To Video: Square Knot - Wonder How To Video: Square Knots
- Remember: "Right over left, left over right, makes a knot tidy, and tight."
- The Square knot comes untied easily and is not as strong as a Sheet bend.
- The Overhand knot is one of the Forty Knots.
- See also