MeritBadgeDotOrg:Criteria for acceptable external links policy
|This page documents an official MeritBadgeDotOrg policy, an accepted standard that all users should follow. Before editing a page, please make sure that your revision reflects consensus. When in doubt, discuss first on the talk page of the article in question.|
Criteria for acceptable external links
All "external" links to other web sites must meet the following criteria:
- The content of the web site must be appropriate for youth.
- The web site must have age-appropriate "Terms of Service" and "Privacy Policies".
- The web site must have legitimate, verifiable "Contact Us" information.
- Use caution when considering adding links to personal or new web sites — they may not last long, be subjective, or even contain malware.
- Use caution when considering adding links to commercial web sites; and, commercial or not, the web site must offer "free" and useful content that does not first require the user (or potential customer) to register, or otherwise disclose personal information. While many web sites often provide additional features, benefits or information, to registered users, the point here is, some "free" and useful content must be freely accessible.
- The linked web site cannot be too narrowly restricted in "locality" — in other words, it must be useful to all Scouts.
- Please, do not mis-interpret the intent here... adding a link to the National Park Service or Philmont Scout Ranch would be helpful to all; on the other hand, adding a link to your local government's parks or your local BSA Camp, would not. Along those same lines, adding a link to your local BSA Camp in the Camping Merit Badge would be inappropriate; but, adding it to an article that consists of a nationwide list of BSA Camps would not only be appropriate, but excellent.
- The linked web site should not promote a political agenda.
- The linked web site must not provide access to cheat sheets, answer keys, or the like.
Before posting a link to a site, please verify who the site really is by using WhoIs. Look at the overall content. Is this site subjective? Please also verify that the phone number given is a valid, listed phone number using a site such as Reverse Phone Directory.
Please note that even a highly respectable site like Merriam Websters Dictionary contains thousands of references that they themselves describe as vulgar or obscene. We can still link to Websters Dictionary but not to those vulgar or obscene topics. Similarly, Wikipedia offers very good articles we can reference as well as content we cannot reference.
- Criteria for acceptable external links policy