maps, charts, links, checklists, and cross-references for related Merit Badges and Scout Awards.
Merit Badges are the second main area of the Boy Scout advancement program. Unlike ranks, there is a degree of choice in the merit badge program. A sub-group of merit badges are known as Eagle required merit badges. To earn Eagle Scout, most of these badges must be earned although some are "either/or" badges. The remainder of the badges help with earning ranks as well as Eagle Palms after the Eagle Scout award has been earned. The online Merit Badge Application is a Word doc file.
Boy Scouts may work on merit badges from they time they join a Scout troop until they turn 18 years old. There is no time limit for completion of merit badges other than age 18. See the Merit Badge FAQ. Some Merit Badges Require Prior Approval before starting certain requirements. Most do not.
| Merit Badge Worksheets|
Worksheets can help you organize notes, listen actively, find resources, and document your work.
| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Boy Scout Requirements, 2012 Edition (BSA Supply No. 34765)
|— Boy Scout Requirements pp.22-23|
|— Advancement Policies #33088, p. 24|
- See:Merit Badges Requiring Prior Approval, Merit Badge Policies, and Merit Badge FAQ for more information.
Click here for the Merit Badge Worksheets.
List of current Merit Badges
The following are all the Merit Badges currently offered by the Boy Scouts of America:
Note: Merit badges shown in bold italics are Eagle-required merit badges.
Discontinued merit badges
| "Scouts may not begin working on discontinued merit badges. If actual effort has already begun by the time discontinuation becomes effective, and work actively continues, then the badge may be completed and can count toward rank advancement, but presentation of the badge itself will be subject to national inventory. It is a misconception that discontinued merit badges may be earned as long as the patch and requirements can be found."|
Source: BSA Guide To Advancement, Section 126.96.36.199: Discontinued Merit Badges
- Agribusiness, Farm Arrangement, Farm Arrangements, Farm Home and Its Planning, Farm Layout and Building Arrangement, Farm Records, Farm Records and Bookkeeping, Farm and Ranch Management
- Animal husbandry
- Animal Industry, Beefarming, Bee Keeping, Beekeeping, First Aid to Animals, Poultry Farming, Poultry Keeping, Pigeon Raising, Beef Production, Hog Production, Hog and Pork Production, Sheep Farming, Animal Industry, Rabbit Raising, Dairying
- Plant cultivation
- Agriculture, Gardening, Landscape Gardening, Food Systems, Forage Crops, Fruit Culture, Fruit and Nut Growing, Citrus Fruit Culture, Nut Culture, Corn Farming, Small Grains, Small Grains and Cereal Foods, Cotton Farming, Grasses, Legumes, and Forage Crops, Landscape Gardening, Landscaping
- Blacksmithing, Carpentry, Cement Work, Craftsmanship, Foundry Practice, Handicraft, Machinery, Farm Mechanics, Woodwork, Metallurgy, Metalwork, Masonry, Mechanical Drawing, Wood Turning, Painting, Plumbing, Electricity, Chemistry
- Personal development
- Personal Finances, Personal Health, Physical Development, Handicapped Awareness, Handicap Awareness
- Atomic Energy, Botany, First Aid to Animals, General Science, Insect Life, Mammals, Mining, Ornithology, Reptile Study, Reptiles, Rocks and Minerals, Taxidermy, Veterinary Science, Zoology
2010 Historic merit badges reissues
The following 2010 Historic (a.k.a. "Centennial") merit badges could be earned through December 31, 2010:
General Merit Badge information
- An Introduction to Merit Badges – how to get started, who chooses the counselor, etc.
- Merit Badge Worksheets & Requirements – with the revision dates, diagrams, charts, checklists, logs, and links you need.
- Merit Badge Application – offers online resources to let you print "Blue Cards," etc.
- Merit Badge FAQ – answers dozens of questions like: Who can be a counselor? Can requirements be added or removed?
- Merit Badges Requiring Prior Approval – Certain requirements need prior approval. Most do not. Here is the list.
- Also see: Most Popular Merit Badges – Merit Badge Policies – Eagle-Required Merit Badges – Merit Badge Days
- Additionally: List of Merit Badges by Field of Study – Merit Badge Pamphlets & Libraries
- Merit Badge Counselors must complete Youth Protection Training, file an Adult Application (and Merit Badge Counselor Information Form); and be approved by the local council. (See the Guide for Merit Badge Counselors for additional details.)
- Release info on upcoming merit badges at Bryan on Scouting
- Mr. D's Merit Badge Review
- David's & Jordon's Merit Badge Review